Monday, August 30, 2010

So i realized that my last post was about how bad my week was. this post however is not about that at all.
Yesterday the youth in my ward had the opportunity to go down to the Randolph Center and serve the residents down there.For those of you who do not know what the Randolph Center is, it is a place for people with very serious disabilities to stay for their entire lives. We woke up around six and were there by eight in the morning. I was assigned to the blind. My girl was named Donna. she couldn't see or talk and she has Alsheimer's . I knew that she wouldn't be able to see me but she could hear me.. i knew she could. So i just talked to her and held on to her hand when she would let me. every couple of seconds she would hit her face and mouth, she was constantly doing that for the hour and a half that i was with her. Even though we didn't have a verbal conversation i came home knowing that i helped someone that was in need, but just talking to them and holding their hand. i really just talked to myself but it was still really nice to be around Donna. The residents showed me something when i was there. it was to be happy with everything you have, everyone has problems but when you have them don't give up or give up on others.

The people living at the Randolph Center were probably the happiest people in the entire world. I met a girl named Debbie, she loves to hug people. i was standing on the side of the room and then i feel some arms go around me. The person's arms held me tight and said " Hi! I'm Debbie what's your name?" I replied " Hi Debbie I'm Makayla! you look very pretty today" and she went on telling me that the purple dress she had on was her favorite dress in the entire world. Then she said "Makayla, you look very pretty today too" and walked away.

I met another man named John. He pulled me into him and shook my hand. He went and sat me down and we talked about the two rings that he was wearing on his fingers. He showed me his hat and said that he loved the Diamondbacks. We talked about his watch and everything else he had on. He was the sweetest man i have ever met and i will always remember John and his rings, hat and watch.
Thank you to Donna, Debbie and John for all teaching me something yesterday. i love you all and i know i will see you again one day.

On another note, in my Biotechnology class we are going to make cheese! Random? yes that's what i thought and i don't think that i will be eating cheese for a very long time after what i heard about it today. i get goosebumps just thinking about it.
PS. lately i have been obsessed with country music and i am completely OBSESSED with Rascal Flatts. if i get to go to their concert on October i will be the worlds most happiest girl ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment